Monday, February 26, 2007

Yesterday was a good day. I spent more than 5 hours in the yard raking and burning leaves and cutting and trimming tree branches. It was hard work but there is something to be said for hard physical labor. There is a feeling of quiet and peace that comes over me after a day of hard physical labor. Food tastes better and sleep comes easier.

I have neglected my back yard the last few years and it shows. There are a lot of little things I have not done inside my house either. Calking and painting, a loose piece of trim here an old “needs to be replaced” fixture there, little things that get put off. This year I will be doing a lot of “up keep” both inside and out in preparation for next year when I put my house on the market. This has been a good house for me. When my X and I separated I found this house. It was not perfect but it was new and in my price range, later I found out it was built by someone I knew personally. I was guided by whoever or whatever it is that guides fools and idiots to this house. A well built energy efficient home within walking distance to my old home, allowing the kids to easily go back and forth, but in such a location that my X and I rarely cross paths. I have been fortunate when I need something fate often steps in and offers me a choice and for the most part I choose well. I have everything I need and lot that I don’t.

Yesterday I also watched 2 good movies, “Gone With the Wind” and “Casablanca”. TCM had its annual “31 days of Oscar” and yesterday they had these two back to back. I don’t think I have ever seen the beginning of “Gone With the Wind” I always come in during the part when Ashley (said with a thick southern draw) tells Scarlet that he will be marring Olivia and Ret Butler pops up from behind the sofa. It’s a great movie. I pointed out to my son that the little girl that played Ret and Scarlet’s daughter is in her 70’s now. Casablanca” is a good movie I don’t call it great I think Humphrey Bogart has done better but I like it. Humphrey Bogart was a good actor he played the sullen, conflicted man very well. As a kid whenever one of his movies came on TV I did my best to watch it. He was not a “good Looking” man but he could act.

Well I’m off to the vet for mom’s cat’s recheck. Of course before I can get to the cat to the vet I will have to get the cat. She runs and hides as soon as I step in my mother’s house, she still seems to have some animosity towards me. I guess it has something to do with 2 weeks of stuffing a pill and a dropper full of medicine down her throat and ear drops in her ears. Go figure…..

No comments: