Saturday, December 12, 2009

On my way to church tonight I noticed that the grocery stores were very busy. I thought about it for a moment, “ah that’s right” I thought “the Christmas parade was canceled last week because of the snow and rescheduled for this week, the parade must be just getting over, no problem it will be cleared out by the time church is over”. At church I asked one of the girls if she had seen the parade today. “The parade is not until tomorrow” she said. “Hummmm” I thought. After church I went to the store to get a rotisserie chicken. A rotisserie chicken will last me just about all week, leg and thigh for two nights, chicken breast sandwich on another, soup and any number of other concoctions for the rest of the week. It’s busy this time of year so the easier the eats the better. Any way the spot that normally holds the chicken was empty and the deli was dark. I actually looked around to see if the chicken had been moved. This had never happened to me. I could always count on rotisserie chicken. “Oh well I thought I’ll go to the other store they will have it for sure.” I get to the other store and no chicken there either. I took a moment and looked around; the bread, milk and other staple were in short supply also. “I guess the stores just reduce their stock this time of year,” I thought to myself “doesn’t make sense to me but…..” I got a gallon of milk paid for it and feeling a bit disappointed got into the jeep. “Damn what am I going to do for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow, I guess I’ll just call Jims and get something to take out” “I really wanted that chicken” “bummer” I got to Jims and picked up my dinner “Were all the stores busy?” the waitress asked “Yea they were” I replied, “I thought it would be” she said ”with the ice storm we might get tomorrow” “damn” I thought “if I had know that I would have stocked up while I was at the store. I think there were a few cans of soup left”

No comments: