Monday, December 13, 2010

The farmer’s almanac said that this year would be dryer but colder than last year. I’m beginning to believe that may be true. Its 10 am and according to my out door thermometer its 18 degrees out side. I can see snow flurries and there is a little more than a dusting of snow but nothing like last year. Heck even the cat and dogs want to stay in I put every one out and they were back in in no time. The sun is trying to come out but the wind is picking up so it’s going to be a hunker down stay in day.

If the Farmers almanac is correct and the cold trend continues maybe I will get all the indoor projects in need to finish done this winter so that come spring the inside of the house will be finished. I also need to get rid of stuff again; the cabin is starting to get cluttered. I down sized and I want to stay that way.

I went to an interesting meeting on Saturday in reference to cohousing. It is a really neat concept, houses are grouped close together on a piece of land. In the case of the “development” I was checking out has about 38 acres located 1 mile from down town Floyd VA. The members of the cohousing organization each will own 1/30th of the property, there will be a common building with a kitchen and great room and possibly a laundry room. These are to promote group activities and hopefully encourage people to interact. There will be guest rooms in the common building so that the houses in the community can be smaller. One would not need to build a guest room into a house. Any way it is a lot like a condominium community but smaller and built with community interaction in mind. I’m not sure it will be for me. Housing like this tends to be expensive and even though the folks who are organizing this thing want it to “affordable” what is affordable for one may not be affordable for another. I am also very much in love with my cabin and while I would love to be closer to Floyd I’m not sure I would want to give up what I have.

The cohousing group here in Floyd VA calls the community Jubilee, they do have a LLC called Floyd Cohousing but they do not have a website yet. When they get one I will post it.

This is a site that gives some information on cohousing, Cohousing Communities Directory

No comments: