Monday, June 06, 2011

There is a certain catharsis that comes from simple hard work; a cleansing of the soul, a freeing of the mind. Simple hard work requires less of the mind than is required to do more complicated task such as balancing a check book, and for me hard work allows part of my mind to wander, to explore the past the future and the present. Today I spent the whole day working with my hands. I used a weedeater to cut about a half acre or so of tall grass then after it got too hot to do that anymore I made a quiche from scratch and cleaned house, then in the cool of the late afternoon I weeded the garden, watered all the plants and put some sprouting potatoes a friend gave me in pots. All day while I did these necessary but mind freeing activities I reflected on all I wanted to do in the future, what others had taught me in the past and what I want to do with my time in the now. I solved no problems, had no great insights but at this moment while I am relaxing on the deck drinking a coke, the dogs lying quietly next to my chair as I watch the stars slowly appear and the fire fly’s start their psychedelic dance I reflect on the day and say to myself god I’m lucky.

1 comment:

Cindy Lee said...

just checking