Monday, October 31, 2005

daylight saving time, day two

Daylight Saving Time was first suggested by Benjamin Franklin in 1784, in an essay, "An Economical Project." The idea was first advocated seriously by London builder William Willett (1857-1915) in the pamphlet, “Waste of Daylight” (1907). Daylight Saving Time has been used in the U.S. and in many European countries since World War I. It was adopted at that time to conserve fuel needed to produce electric power. Today we continue the practice of adjusting our clocks to the season and I guess with the cost of fuel these days it continues to “make sense” but as I laid in my bed at 4am looking at the red display on my alarm clock it did not seem like that great an ideal. It will be a month before I shake off the early morning awakening. The dogs are oblivious to the change. Their noses were on the side of my bed as soon as they heard me stir. The girl dog, Trip whimpered for her morning meal at what is her normal time to eat, 20 minutes after I awake. It’s hard to tell her that it’s now 5am not 6am. Well I’m off to continue my day. I will purposefully stay awake longer tonight and allow myself no naps during the day. By April my internal clock will be firmly set to Eastern Standard Time.

No comments: