Thursday, April 14, 2005

Lessons

Yesterday returning to my car after shopping I noticed a hand written note on my windshield. The note told me that I had a low tire. Well the tire was almost flat so I quickly went to the nearest air hose and filled the tire up. I decided that I would keep an eye on it and went on about my business. In my mind I thanked the anonymous writer telling my self that I would pass the kindness on.

To be quite truthful I forgot all about the tire until this morning when as I was rushing to get my son to school and I saw that it was flat. Well I hauled out the air compressor cursing under my breath just knowing this was going to be one of those things it took all day to get fixed, pumped up the tire. As nice as I could I explained to my son that this was a little thing and even though it was an inconvenience no one did anything bad so there was no reason to get mad, it was just one of those things you take care of and move on. Believe me that’s not what I was thinking!

Well I dropped my son off at school and rushed to the Fast Lube were I get my oil and tires taken care of. Now we only have one place on the beach that does the Jiffy Lube kind of stuff, you know the simple general car maintenance. When they first opened, Chris the owner wanted to have the customer in and out in 30 minutes well it doesn’t work that way, they are so busy that I had prepared myself for a few hours stay. Imagine my suprise when I get there and there is only one car ahead of me. One of Chris’s guys came out took the keys I told him to fix the tire and while I was here change the oil.

I went to the waiting room and prepared to read the magazines but instead I got into a conversation with the owner of the first vehicle. It seems he just got back from California were he had undergone radiation treatment for prostate cancer. What made this so interesting is that the type of treatment he received is not available here on the east coast. He went to Loma Linda hospital in Loma Linda CA for a relatively new treatment using proton radiation to treat his prostate. The treatment is “new” but it has been around for more than 15 years and insurance covered it. The gentleman went on to tell me that the side effects of this treatment are few. He did not lose his hair, experience nausea or vomiting, his lab work is fine no decrease in blood cell’s. He told me that the proton radiation focuses on the cancerous area and does not harm the surrounding tissue. It does not pass beyond the tissue being treated so it does not affect other organs. It is a relativity non invasive procedure. He told me they are starting to use it for breast cancer. I was very thankful to him a stranger that had just gone through what must have been a frightening time in his life for sharing this with me.

I have always believed if you look for good in any situation you will find it and that there are lessons to learn and relearn every day. A flat tire reminded me of some very important lessons. Yesterday it was that there are a lot of good people out there and little acts of good do matter even if no one knows who you are. Today it was that if you are willing to listen you can learn something that might be important to pass on to others.

No comments: