Saturday, April 02, 2005

Music of the times

Musicians are the poets of the people. They have the ability to move the human psyche to incite pleasure, pain, anger, joy, sadness, laughter, all human emotions. There are many types of music more than I can even began to name but I like rock and alternative the best. I listen to the words looking for a meaning seeing if I can relate. I choose my music according to how I feel. Mellancamp, Dylan and Young have some heady stuff where Weird Al is anything but serious.

Songs bring to the surface social injustice, vice, love, passion, humor. A song can trigger a memory. The right song can take you back to your first date, wedding , child, divorce and even that party you don’t remember all that well and its probably a good thing you don’t.

Last night while contemplating the events that have transpired so far this, year songs by Billy Joel and Paul Simon came to mind. The songs “We didn’t start the fire” and “The boy in the bubble” used short phrases to chronicle the events in recent history. I started to do the same with the events starting with the December 26th tsunami. As I counted off the events I decided that for this year I would, using as few words as possible, make a running account of things that happen. On January 1, 2006 I will take a good look at this time capsule and see if I had more good than bad, see if my song is happy or sad.

So far I have: Tsunami, world relief, President Bush second term, oil prices, Alaskan wild life refuge, Terry Schiavo, congress where it does not belong, & Pope John Paul II.

No comments: