Tuesday, July 05, 2005

fire works

Manteo is a small Mayberry-isk town located on Roanoke Island on the Outer Banks of NC. Last night my mother and I walked from her apartment to the water front to see the fire works and I must say it was a very pleasant experience. First it was nice to see that we were not the only ones to walk in to town. What started as a trickle of people became a small stream the closer we came to town. There was laughter and good will in that stream. There were conversations between stranger’s that flowed from one person to the other and subject to subject. Children ran laughing and screaming with glow sticks and shoes that sparkled with each step. It was a feeling of carnival. I sensed no discourse even though I know it must have been there; after all we don’t live in Perfect.

This feeling of community spread to the dock where we sat waiting for the fire works to begin. The effortless conversation between strangers continued, the children played and their laughter stayed in the air until the fire works began, then oh’s and awe’s filled the air as parents tried to convince the very young that fire works were great and couples sitting close concentrated only on the fire works and each other.

As we walked home I was glad I took the time to come to Manteo and walk to the waterfront with my mother. How else could I have experienced the good in this life that is so often missed?

No comments: