Saturday, July 02, 2005

O'conner

Yesterday Justice O’Conner announced that she would be retiring from the Supreme Court. Many look at this as very troubling. After all this gives president Bush an opportunity to place a conservative as a Justice. I decided that before I got upset over this I would review the present court make up, this is what I found.

Of the nine justices 7 were appointed by republican presidents. O’Conner was appointed by Reagan. So there will still be 7 republican appointees. From what I can see there has been no rhyme or reason to the way the justices “vote”. They have a job they can’t be fired from so they can become more open or closed minded when they get the position. More than one president has been disappointed by the decisions made by their appointee. Bush does have the potential to place 3 Justices but Reagan placed 4 and all was not lost.

This will be an interesting time for Bush and for the nation. I hope he thinks in the long term because who ever he appoints will be influencing our lives for a long time.

No comments: