Sunday, April 30, 2006

end of april

To day is the last day of April 2006.

Four months have passed this year each month passing faster than the month before.

April is a transition month it’s a time of year when preparations are made for the summer to come. The air begins to warm, trees expel their green pollen and dawn a new covering of almost transient levees of green yellow and red. The dogwoods and azaleas bloom, flowers show their faces and birds sing. This morning I found a tiny bird egg shell and held it in my hand wondering what type of bird the chick that hatched from this egg would become. It is a month of new beginnings.

But this month already very busy just by being April was made even busier by responsibility. My responsibility to family has been almost overwhelming.. I am in a profession where compassion and nurturing is expected. Well I’m not an overly nurturing kind of person. I like my space and my freedom. When I begin to feel backed in a corner by “responsibility” I get resentful. I do not like being in the “tween” generation. That place where children, ageing parents and ones own desires pull in different directions I long to walk my personal path but that path is so hard to find. Its times like this I long for that golden age of 50 when I will be free. My youngest will be college and I will be in a small cabin on the side of a hill overlooking Buffalo mountain. In the morning I will watch wisps of mist as they form on the open pastures and then are taken away by the gentle morning breeze. In the evening I will watch the insects and listen to the still air as I relax on the porch as the sun sinks behind the mountains. Ah but this is only a dream (for now) today the grass needs cutting, laundry needs to be done, dogs need to be walked and mom needs to be helped.

No comments: