Saturday, November 11, 2006

So what has happened this past week, not much, spent most of it WORKING but with the holidays coming up that’s OK. What time I had at home was spent fixin things.

This week I learned a little more about plumbing; what did I learn?

  1. Basic plumbing is not that hard that being said
  1. It will take 3 time’s as long as the “book” say’s it will take and the “book” never has instructions for the exact type of faucet, handle or fitting that needs repair.
  1. It will cost at least 2 times what it should cost to fix something the first time you do it.
  1. It is worth the extra money to go to a real plumbing store. I went to Home Depot, the staff honestly tried to help, they did their best but I could tell they did not have the slightest Ideal what I needed. I went to ACE Hardware, those guys were great but again because I did not know the terminology and did not know the exact model number they were not able to help me BUT the guys from ACE sent me to Ferguson’s Plumbing where Mike was able to get me everything I needed and he explained how to put it all together.
  1. Digital cameras are great;Take a photo of what you are fixing. It helps those that are trying to help you know what you are talking about.

The above being said it took me 9 hours to repair the kitchen sink faucet and the shower faucet (the shower took the most time) a lot of that time was spent getting the shower handle off, the set screw was striped. I tried using an extractor but that did not work so I wound up having to cut it off; those little L shaped Hex screw remover things are not easy to use. (If anyone knows of a better type please let me know)

I did allow myself the whole day to do this project because I knew that I did not really know what I was doing. I read the how to book and it seemed “do able” I accepted that I would hit some bumps and that it would cost more that it needed to but I also knew that the next time I do a job like that I will have a better understanding of how the faucet works and what is needed to fix it.

Cost to fix the 2 facets; $76, 9 hours of time and whatever I used up in gas.

Well I’ll be back at work tonight I expect it to be busy, there is a marathon happening here at the beach and its warm there is also a fishing tournament so a lot is going on. People will get hurt. I have a few days off next week in which I will be helping my mom get ready for her trip to New Orleans to visit my brother. I will also be figuring out why the hot water is coming out the cold water side in the shower faucet I fixed ;-)

No comments: