Thursday, September 27, 2007

Presbyopia (old mans eyes)

Today I was working in the basement just cleaning things up when it occurred to me that I could not see worth a damn. Yesterday while doing yard work in the bright sun I had no difficulty seeing; of course I wasn’t doing any detailed work just cleaning out the shed and yard. Today’s work is being done inside on a rainy day and involves the use of tools such as screwdrivers, saws and hammers and the plain truth is I can not see what I am doing clearly. I noticed this indoor seeing discrepancy way back in June while at work, I had picked up a medication bottle and while I could easily read the name of the med (with my arms fully extended) I could not read the fine print even with my over-the-counter reading glasses. The time had come to get an eye exam. I went to the doctor took the exam and informed him that I had no problem with my far distance sight but that I was having difficulty with reading close up and the computer screen. He told me that I did have problems with my far distance sight and that I needed trifocal glasses. Humph…..

So ever since I got those stupid glasses I have come to realize more and more that weather I like it or not I “may” need to wear my glasses just about all the time, unless of course it is a bright sunny day and I’m out side doing something that is not all that detailed or important.

No comments: