Saturday, March 04, 2006

This week a 14 year old young man became so despondent that he took his own life.

When I heard this, an intense sense of sadness swept over me. He is not the first young person whose name I knew to do this. This is not the first time I was nearly over come with the need to go to my own children look in their eyes and tell then that death is so final. There is no hope in death. That in all but a few cases death is not the best choice. That no matter what any of them may do I would always love them.

I do not know what drove this young man to do what he did. My heart goes out to his parents and family. I want to say I empathize with them, that I understand what they are going through but I know I never really can.

I will talk to my youngest when I see him today. I will ask him questions in roundabout ways trying to get a feel for what he is feeling. I will hug him and be thankful.

No comments: