Thursday, June 22, 2006

Mountains June 2006

this photo was taken on one of my morning walks to a friends house for morning coffee.

this is a composit of three photos using Cannon PhotoStich. its a view of one of my "side" yard


another PhotoStich. 2 photos rotated 90 degrees joined and rotated back 90 degrees. gives a feel for the hight of the trees

I just returned from a week in the VA Mountains. I went short on cash this time due to some unexpected expenditures last month but it was just good to get off the beach and go to where I hope to call home some day.

My 16 year old son came with me and it was nice spending time with him. I know that soon he will not have the time nor the inclination to go on trips with his mother. I had encouraged him to bring some video games and movies both of which he declined to do. “You’re not going to have anything to do.” Said I “Exactly” said he.

We did not “do” much but we did visit the Mabry Mill on the Blue Ridge park way. We went to The Jacksonville Center in Floyd VA to get some information on Solar and Wind power for the house I plan on building. On Sunday while my son hooked up with a friend I went to a Bookstore/Coffee shop in Floyd to hear Fred First read from his new book “Slow Road Home”. (the bookstore is called Notebooks I cant remember what the coffee shop is called but they are right above the book store and serve excellent coffee at a very reasonable price). Monday we took a friends daughter for her swimming lessons in Blacksburg and swung over to Christiansburg to hit Barns & Noble and check out the mall (we don’t have a mall here). I guess when I read this we were “active” but we spent a lot of time on my little 4 acre piece of heaven.

I did a lot of walking and exploring the land like I do every time I’m there, my son spent his time sleeping. I’m not kidding he slept all the time. When I asked him about it he smiled and informed me that at home he was always busy so he decided to spend his vacation sleeping! Today my son looks fresh, he is out and about doing all the things he does and I look and am exhausted dreading all the laundry and other things that have to be done before I return to work tomorrow.

I envy my son’s ability to just relax, to sleep away a vacation, but I would not give up one of my walks. I enjoy looking at the trees and plants, animals and birds, listening to the sounds that explode in the “quiet” of the country, smelling the air both sweet and foul. I love the feel of the mountain sun and wind. I like finding out about new things and then looking for them. The new life I will be starting in a few years is so exciting to me that I take every opportunity to sneak a peek. I can’t just sleep away my time there. I want to savor every minute I spend on that little piece land I call my own.

It is good being home. I love sleeping in my own bed and taking a real shower. I love hearing from my friends and family. And the Outer Banks will always be home, this is where my children were born and raised and where many good friendships have been formed but I feel more “at home” in those mountains. I know I will miss the beach but I love thoes mountains and one has to follow the heart from time to time.

1 comment:

Tom Gray said...

Good luck with the wind power. Lots more info available here.

Regards,
Tom Gray
American Wind Energy Association
www.awea.org
www.ifnotwind.org