Friday, November 21, 2008

It is bitter cold and windy this morning but I am hold up in the house with a warm fire and a hot cup of coffee. I love the wood fire heat but one of the disadvantages of wood heat is that you have to bring the wood into the house. On a cold day bringing wood in is not fun. I like to keep at least one day ahead on the indoor wood supply, I feel wood burns better if it is room temperature, so every morning right after feeding the dogs and my first cup of Joe I bring in the wood. This morning right as I stepped out of the house Mellow whinnied really loud at me and then just stared.

Mellow is a nice sized tan mare that belongs to my friend who is letting me stay at her house. My friend also has a mule named Amos. While she is away farmer Tim normally takes care of the horses but it makes no since for him to come down here every day while I’m here so for the next few months I have taken over that job. It seems I am being or have been trained by the horses to feed them on their schedule and Mellow was ready to eat. Dutifully I prepared their food, donned my shoes, heavy coat and gloves and marched my way up to the barn and fed them. I don’t mind feeding the animals and there is something about the feel and smell of a horse that I like but I wish they would be a little more patient in the morning. It would have been nice to have had two cups of coffee before I went into that cold windy barn yard.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a better person than me no way could I leave the beach with mild winters for the cold snowy mountians.I love summers,and living at the beach is our dream.The cold and the hard work will be hard on you as you age.You have got to be one special person.I hope your home and everything you have done to be where you are turns out to be the best for you.You have my best wishes.

Cindy Lee said...

thanks for your comment;

It is hard to believe but physically I feel better in the colder weather. I have never been able to take the heat of the beach in the summer and the winters there are damp. I will admit that sometimes the cold is hard to take but that's what long johns are for. I know that as I age my cold tolerance may change but right now I'm in heaven!!

Anonymous said...

As I said you are one special lady! I love reading your blog,your love of the mountians,the animals,the new home you are building just really touches me.You are happy and more than likly this is the first time you are doing something just for you!You are a nurse,a mom ,been a wife and I can bet all thoses years you did to please everyone else and to take care of them and now finally you are doing for you and loving every minute of it.I love the beauty of your new home and can't wait to see it finished.I just hate the cold.You are right that is what long johns are for.Enjoy every minute of everyday you deserve it.

Cindy Lee said...

Thank you and have a great holiday =-)