Tuesday, June 30, 2009

We humans are a strange lot. We allow ourselves to be “ruled over” by the lowliest of rulers. We give to them when we know we will receive nothing in return. They greedily take from us and scold us when we are not quick to give them what they feel is there due. We humans are a strange lot.

The humming bird feeders were empty this afternoon when I got home. I did not know how much noise humming birds made until at the request of my friend, who is graciously allowing me to use her house while mine is being built, asked me to put out the feeders. Humming birds are greedy, bossy and noisy. They are Speedy Gonzalez with wings. They are cool. I like watching them. There is one that seems to know who I am. It will buzz by me turn around and then hover just a few feet from my face. They all seem to know who fills the feeder because when they see me and the feeder is empty they come to the fence sit on it and “yell” at me. I am their servant and they are my masters. I dutifully buy sugar for no other reason than to feed the humming birds. They say the average American eats over 100lb of sugar a year. I wonder how many like me by 10 lb bags of sugar every 2 weeks to feed the birds. I wonder how much folks like me are messing up the statistics.

Dogs, cats and now humming birds what will demand my time and energy next? Are we thinking chickens?

No comments: