Monday, August 22, 2005

end of a quiet day

I think one of every parent worst nightmares is a call from an anonymous caller telling them their child had been in an accident well that’s what happened yesterday to me. I guess there is always calm before the storm.

It seems my #2 son was taking a friend home, the traffic was stop and go on the bypass so they decided to turn on to the beach road. The bypass is a 5 lane highway, two lanes heading north and 2 lanes heading south with one turning lane in the middle. He moved over to the turning lane not realizing that traffic had stopped to let a car cross. The crossing car and my son’s car met in the middle. Well my sons car was totaled the other car was badly damaged. My son had to be assisted by EMS out of the car; from there he spent over 3 hours on a back board. After diagnostic testing he was cleared of serious injury but he did end up with some bad contusions and a broken clavicle (collar bone). Every one else walked away with just contusions.

I hate the bypass in the summertime especially on the weekends. This accident happened because people tried to help someone cross the road. The officer who investigated the accident said this happens all the time, people trying to do something nice not realizing how dangerous it can be. I’ve stopped to let cars cross before but I won’t again. I feel bad that those people have to wait but I would rather they wait then be in an accident.

No comments: