Thursday, August 25, 2005

Whirlwinds

At 5:30pm today I was getting the plants off the steps and moving them out of the way so the boys could move a couch from house next door to my living room. My neighbors are selling their house and moving to Texas, they don’t want to take their furniture (it would cost almost as much to ship as it would to buy new) so they are selling what they can, I bought the couch. The problem is this thing is a sleeper sofa and with son #2 out of commission and son #3 very busy with school and other activities I needed to enlist someone to help son #1 move the thing and that enlistee could only help this Thursday afternoon. I made arrangement to move it on Thursday (today).

At 6pm I started to get a little nervous. No one was here, I’d already talked to the neighbors telling them I would be getting the couch today, and I had to pick up my #3 son from tae-kwan-do at 6:45pm and no one was here yet. At 6:05pm I called the boys father, explained my situation and asked him if he would pick up son #3 and then I waited.

At 6:10 the enlistee arrived with a buddy but no #1 son. The enlistee and his buddy said no problem lets just move the couch. They proceeded to pick that thing up and walk it over to my house, at that moment my #1 son with his own enlistee pulls in to the yard smiles and says ”you guys are doing a great job” at which I said to him “you guys can move the futon” so we had two young men in their 20’s moving a sleeper sofa and two other young men in their 20”s moving a futon and in less than 10 minutes it over, the furniture was moved and they were standing in my front yard with a futon in the back of a van deciding where they were going next. By 6:30 pm they were gone and I was thinking what a freaking whirlwind.

I am not a patient person. When I want something done I want it done. When I was younger and in better shape I would have tried to move that furniture myself (not a wise thing to do but I would have tried) these days my lower back and knees just cant take the abuse anymore and I must rely more on others and accept that a few minutes hear or there really doesn’t matter. Much of my life seems to be a whirlwind but things always seem to work out. The couch was moved, I was able to pick my #3 son up, dinner was on time and all was as it should be.

No comments: