Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The bush speeks

I’m one of those people who gets a lot of her news from places like the “ the Daily Show” and “Wait Wait -- Don't Tell Me!” so I felt that it was my “obligation” to listen to the presidents speech last night. I wanted to hear “it” from the horse’s mouth without any outside influence. It was hard for me to listen to, the man opens his mouth and my blood boils, but I will say this, the speech was relatively short less than an hour and he kept his rhetoric to a minimum. He really did not say anything new. He thankfully said little about foreign issues but he did manage to mention 9-11 less than 5 minutes into the speech. He did mention the need to become less dependent on foreign oil and said he would support research but at the same time he said he wants to lower taxes. The democratic rebuttal was pretty much what you would expect; “we somewhat agree Mr. President but it’s not enough”. The governor of Virginia was not the best speech maker but he did not have a lot of time to practice the rebuttal. All in all if you missed the speech, no great loss it was very typical and uninspired.

Now just a little soap box on the tax issue. Democrats have been called tax and spend liberals and to some extent that may be true but at least they spent money they had. Bush is living like someone with 20 credit cards and a check book that thinks as long as you haven’t meant your limit and you still have checks you can spend. Folks if I spent all I wanted and at the same time worked less I would lose my house my car and everything else I own. Get real. I hate taxes as much as the next person but taxes are going to have to go up or this country is going to go bankrupt.

No comments: