Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Future talk

In the next few years I hope to build a home in the Virginia Mountains. This is one of those things that I have been thinking about for a long time. I say to people “I’m moving to the mountains when my son graduates in 4 years, 3 years, 2 years”. Two years isn’t that long from now. I have the land and I have been looking at house plans for a while; I know I want a passive solar home that is why a southern exposure was so important for me. I know all entry ways to every room must be at least 3 foot. I plan on living in the home until I die and I want to be able to wheel my self a round. I know I want a wood stove and I know I want a small home, a 1000sf or less and there goes my problem. I can’t find many good plans for a small home with an efficient floor plan so I’m going to have to make one up. Making up your own floor plan is not that easy. I’m not an architect so I feel any plans I make should be reviewed by one but I have to find one in the area I want to live in who is familiar with earth walls, radiant floor’s and solar power. I need to plan the site layout. I know the area where the house is going to be will need to be terraced. I have to decide what type of septic system I want the hill is very steep, do I try and buy another acre of flatter land or do I put in the more expensive system. This is why people hire contractors but I know I can do this. It is going to take every bit of the 2 years left to adequately plan this thing out. I’m open to any input.

Well I have been pondering the house questions long enough for today there are petunias to plant, weeds to pull and dogs to play with before I take my nap in preparation for work. It is a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

No comments: