Tuesday, August 15, 2006




I had hoped to post these shots as soon as I got home but I was too tired and instead went to bed

It was great morning on the Outer Banks and since I got off work early (translation on time) I decided to take a quick trip to the beach. It was a nice morning, the ocean was flat, early morning fishermen and folks just out for a walk were treated to a very placid sight. In my opinion this is the beginning of the best time of year here. The July visitors seemed to be in a hurry all the time. The traffic is bumper to bumper and sometimes has a mean feel to it. I guess it’s got to be the families and young professionals, they are so accustomed to running from place to place that when they get to the beach its hard for them to slow down. This time of year brings a slower group of folks. You see fewer families with school age children and more with very young ones, you also see older people. I think there may be a more experienced group of people that visit the Outer Banks this time of year. Visitors who know that there is little to “do” here other than visit the beach, eat and shop so why be in a hurry. This is the time of year when walks around the Wright Brothers memorial and the Elizabethan gardens are pleasant. A drive to Ocracoke where you can rent a bicycle and explore the island is always nice. I don’t think people can truly enjoy the Outer Banks if they can’t let go and just lay back.

No comments: