Saturday, August 12, 2006

Preseid meteor shower: no show

I got up early this morning in hopes of viewing the Preseid meteor shower. On a good night in a good location a person can see between 70 and 100 meteors an hour. I had hoped to try catching some on my camera using a prolonged shutter speed. I knew I would have to contend with the moon, which would cut down on the number of meteors seen but when I saw the cloud cover I went back to bed; there would be no meteor viewing this morning. I will try again tonight and early tomorrow morning who knows maybe I’ll get lucky. I did see a few when I was at my cousins place last weekend and the meteor shower does run from July 23-August 22 but this morning was the peak. Oh well if things don’t work out this year there is always next year when the peak comes during the new moon and the viewing should be a lot better.

This is a nice site to get information on meteor showers and comets Gary W. Kronk's Comets and Meteor Showers there are lots of others but this is a fairly simple one.

No comments: