Sunday, March 20, 2005

March 20th

This March 20th has two roles to play. First it’s Palm Sunday. Second it’s the first day of spring.

*I have my clothes laid out for church not an easy task seeing as I do not own a dress. You see I am one of those holiday Catholics. For me getting dressed up is putting on my best pair of jeans and a nice top. Frankly I don’t think god is going to fault me the jeans. So I will go to mass, have the true pleasure of seeing folks I have not seen in a while and hopefully enjoy the sermon. I work Easter Sunday so I will miss that holiday and for that I am sorry because Easter is the most important Christian holiday. With out the resurrection of Christ there would be no Christianity.

*As I sit here looking out the window on to the deck, I see a steady light rain and the mist that comes with it. The rain is so light that drops are able to form on the branches of the live oak. These drops get fatter and eventually fall the rest of the way to he ground. It’s very hypnotic.

This is the first day of spring. Spring will start officially in just a few minutes. This year the Vernal Equinox comes at approximately 7:30 am EST. From now on the days will get longer here in the northern hemisphere.

We have just gone through one of the ten warmest winters since they started recording those things. Seven of the ten have happened since 1990. What problems will the lack of snow in the upper mid west bring? How will the warm temperatures effect insects? I have always noticed that if we don’t get a good freeze we have a lot more bugs. Is this warm weather a trend that will last all year? The most important question, how much have we humans contributed to this increase in temperatures?

Those question and more go through my mind as I sit sipping my coffee watching the rain fall and reform on the branches of that live oak and then continue their journey to the ground. The answers are in my mind. I know that more than one thing affects the weather and in the end nature will balance all things out with or without a human presence.

No comments: